Friday, April 26, 2013

Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina

It is no secret that I love to sew.  A few months ago while attending the Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup, WA, I found an unusal fabric at the Vogue Fabrics booth.  The fabric interior is a fleece with all the comfort of a favorite sweatshirt, while the right side has vertical rows of zigzag stitched ombre colored yarns - burgandy to pink to white to black.  I don't recall the fiber content and held my breathe when I cleaned the yardage on the delicate cycle in the washing machine, I was thrilled that there was no pilling or fabric deterioration.  Easy maintenance... that's what I want in my fabrics and garments. 

From my local store I found a Sandra Betzina pattern #1243.  I had been wanting a cute jacket to wear with jeans - a throw-n-go type jacket. 

Vogue #1243

I chose View C since the design was unique to my regular wardrobe . . . no lapel and soft gathering at the neckline.


Plus, I was really curious about the jacket construction.  Leave it to Sandra Betzina. Not only does her design style speak to me, but her pattern directions are so well written.  I stitched this jacket up in no time - and thanks to my serger. The sleeve construction and soft gathers at the neckline were a breeze.  The front jacket is lined with a sheer floral that along the hemline and front I rolled forward for a nice contrast finish. 



I love this little jacket!  Will pair up a lace camisole under this jacket, but really need sun and warmer temperatures before venturing outside. 


Sandra Betzina designs Today's Fit patterns for Vogue Patterns.  She has an array of garment patterns that are stylish and fun to sew.  This week when I received Sandra's Power Sewing newsletter I was thrilled she featured this pattern in Episode 127: Simple Travel Jacket, just after I had already finished my own jacket.  Timing is everything!  Check out Sandra's jacket pattern on her Power Sewing website. 

Sew SCHMETZ!
Rhonda
PS:  I used a SCHMETZ Universal 80/12.
www.SCHMETZneedles.com
www.powersewing.com

------------------------------------------------------ 

1 comment:

  1. Cute! Cute! Cute! Hope to see it at Expo next year!
    Laura in Puyallup

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget