Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sewing Machine Needles: Colors of Thanksgiving

On this day of Thanksgiving, I want to share a few pictures from my travels.  I am rather surprised to not find so many Thanksgiving projects, rather the autumn color of orange was easy to find in my photo stream.  So enjoy of few pics.  I hope they inspire you.

Lumination II
Susan McBride Gilgen
2012 International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX
Glorious hues of orange, red and gold.  Yes, this is a quilt as if you are standing at the foot of a forest looking up to the sun.  Susan describes these Japanese maples as a forest of fire in fiber, a lumination to the mind.  This stunning original quilt is made of hand-dyed cotton and batiks.  Her techniques are spontaneous design application, free-motion  machine embroidery and machine quilting.


2012 Sewing & Stitchery Expo
Puyallup, WA
 
Nice example of blending patterns, techniques and colors. This vest is a stunner! I love when sewists can wear their projects to sewing and quilting events.
 

Lobby, Aladdin Holiday Inn
Kansas City, MO

This spring International Quilt Market, wholesale fabric and quilt supplies show,  took place in Kansas City, MO.  Staying at the Aladdin Holiday Inn was a treat.  I especially loved their lobby with the beautiful over sized orange red glass perched upon a circular sofa flanked by regal pillars glowing with gold detail.  The vaulted lobby ceiling was outstanding.  This little boutique hotel restored its original art deco ambiance with a touch of vintage charm.  The Aladdin is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was easy walking distance to Quilt Market. 

Triple Stripes
Pieced by Anita Marsh, Quilted by Dan Kolbe

Meandering through quilt festivals is always a pleasure when traveling.  This summer my community had their second annual quilt festival.  The weather cooperated and the quilts were special.  This quilt caught my eye reminding me of modern quilts which are so popular now.  Anita found the pattern at her local quilt shop, Prairie Stitches Quilt Shoppe, and used batiks from her stash.    It is always good to support your local shops, and yes, Prairie Stitches does carry SCHMETZ needles.


Shopping at Haberman Fabrics
2012 American Sewing Expo, Novi, MI

Staying with the autumn color theme, especially orange, you are looking at my next sewing project - beautiful nubby wool to be made into a jacket.  Plus I found a delightful orange paisley jersey knit with a touch of turq for a companion blouse, or if I am lucky a Magic Bias Dress.  Soon I will find out as this is my Thanksgiving sewing project.



On this day of Thanksgiving, enjoy your family and friends.  Share your love of sewing.
Sew SCHMETZ!
Rhonda
www.SCHMETZneedles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget