Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sewing Whirlwind

I have been married to my sewing room this past week in preparation for a March whirlwind of sewing shows and SCHMETZ classes which means . . . new clothes, new patterns, new ideas. So first I raided my husband's closet. "Honey, do you wear these sweaters anymore?". Before he could reply that they are a "little tight", I grabbed two choice sweaters with colors and textures that played nicely together.

The skirt turned out pretty nice, but needed a top to complete the look. Luckily I found a sweater vest - also from my husband's closet that may or may not be too tight for him, he can wear it again in April. Anyway, the outfit looks terrific, but could it look even better with a little sequin embellishment? The sequin applique from Trims on Wheels lends a retro look to the outfit. We'll see, I'm still a few days away from deciding on how many sequins.

When traveling for SCHMETZneedles I try to visit local fabric shops. Yes, "I am a fabriholic" and will never sew all my fabrics, but I love the textures, colors and stories of these fabric forays. The next two projects use luscious fabrics found last fall at Treadle Yard Goods in St. Paul , MN.

What a joy to sew Marsha McClintock's newest Saf-T-Pockets Pattern, the T-Shirt Trifecta. Seams were serged on the right side and the top finished with flirty little flounces at the hem and lower sleeves. Already I know I'll be sewing this pattern again. I may raid my husband's closet again, this time for some of those heavy weight bright t-shirts that are a "little too tight". This is a cute and cheery little top!


My sewing spree would not be complete without a Sandra Betzina item. I chose a pullover top with a ruched front panel and ruched trimmed sleeves: Sandra's Today's Fit Vogue #1275. Another quick and simple to sew project in just one morning. Ruching by pulling a cord through zig zag stitches was a new and fun technique. The top looks great with black slacks, but there was enough fabric to make a simple skirt. So, this is a splashy outfit that is destined to be a favorite.

All that is left are a few touch-ups, then it's time to pack and go. First to New Orleans for VDTA/SDTA, a wholesale show, then off to Puyallup, WA as the Facebook hostess for the Sewing and Stitchery Expo, followed by SCHMETZ classes at Steve's Sewing, Vacuum and Quilting in King of Prussia, PA, then back to the west coast to Sewing with the Stars hosted by The Sewing Place in Santa Rosa, CA.

March is a sewing whirlwind. If our paths cross, say hi. I would love to know which SCHMETZ needle is your favorite!

Sew SCHMETZ!

Rhonda

http://www.powersewing.com/
http://www.treadleyardgoods.com/
http://www.stevessewandvac.com/
http://www.mysewvacplace.com/
http://www.sewexpo.com/

SCHMETZ needles used on these projects: Stretch 75/11 and Universal 80/12.

------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget