Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful for Cleaning A Closet?

Yesterday afternoon I had an unexpected burst of energy.  Ever lingering on my "To Do" list was clean the guest room closet.  This is where I keep my clothes that don't quite fit at the moment - but I'm certain they will next season, and a cadre of sewing supplies in pretty red plaid boxes, patterns, fabrics and other mysteries.  I just dug right in and started cleaning and organizing.  Surprisingly I found a lovely white on white cotton fabric that originally I bought for a quilt backing, but it was a little short. 


One of 20 Stippled Janome Motifs
 I love sewing and have been using a Janome 11000.  This machine is also an embroidery machine and has 24 built-in 4" x 4" motifs on a stippled background.  For some reason multi-tasking was the mode of my day.  If I have to clean I should reward myself with embroidery.  Right!  I cut up the white-on-white fabric and sandwiched in light weight batting.  Luckily I had enough fabric and white thread to embroider 20 lovely designs.  I used a SCHMETZ 80/12 Microtex.  This little project became addictive!  Pretty soon the clock struck midnight and I had only 6 more designs... finally at 2:00 AM the embroidery was complete and my closet was finished!  This was such fun!  Now I have to decide how to join the blocks.

Last Year's Apron from Mom
During my cleaning spree I also found an apron that my Mom made for me last Christmas.  The apron is made of fabric from a college sewing project - Mom hung on to that fabric for quite a while!  Maybe she found it while cleaning her own stash?  That got me to thinking about what I read on Rita Farro's November 21st blog about National Tie One On Day.  That's tie on an apron!  I don't think the pattern Mom used is a Mary Mulari Church Basement Ladies Apron pattern, but the apron sure is special to me.

Cleaning my closet has really come full circle in the last 24 hours.  That dreaded chore lead me to a wonderful embroidery project and uncovering Mom's apron in this season of Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for family and friends and the wonderful world of sewing.  Let each day be a day of thanksgiving . . .  and sewing.
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rita Farro's blog
ritassewfun.blogspot.com
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget